East meets West

My previous post was somewhat dark in rage. So I am here to sing some happy tunes. Literally.

It’s time for us to head start an auspicious year, get together, eat and be merry, and not forgetting to collect the little red packets :)

Having celebrating Chinese New Year for the past 2 decades, but I have never taken much effort to understand the cultures, beliefs and customs of Chinese New Year. Don’t even bother asking me the history of Chinese New Year; I get it wrong most of the time.

I hate to admit but I know nothing about chor tai dee. Let alone mahjong. To me, chor tai dee is like playing a game of hearts. (Don’t roll your eyes). Hence this festive, I will try getting my hands on them. *grin*

There is always an endless vary of Chinese customs to abide and follow however my family doesn’t practice much of it. For most Chinese family, new clothes and good food are the essence of Chinese New Year. But my family always believes that devouring in good food and donning new clothes can take place in anytime of the year. For us, it is more of catching up with old times, getting in touch with our relatives while me, it will be an excuse of collecting ang pau. I am glad to have my parents who are like east meets west. They somewhat evolved over the years. I guess I have best of both worlds. They are different in a good way.

Just like Obama.

His historic inauguration address as the 44th President of the States was inspiring and heart warming :)

My favourite quote is :

Our challenges may be new. The instruments with which we meet them may be new. But those values upon which our success depends — honesty and hard work, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism — these things are old. These things are true.

Well said.

Now I am inspired to go on ang pau hunting. Have a prosper Chinese New Year, folks :)
Gong Xi Ging Xi

3 comments:

Loony... said...

wishing y happy CNY too!

loon han (ur long lost librarian junior)

Angeline Lee said...

I can teach you play any type of card games or mahjong anytime ;) But u have to pay ur 'fees' lo.. =P
Happy CNY babe!!

suling said...

Gong Xi Ging Xi??
muahahahh!!