The Great Storyteller

At about 2 in the morning, I received text messages that read ‘Yasmin Ahmad has passed away.’


Yasmin Ahmad- is no stranger to us. In fact a household name in Malaysia. She captivated the nation with her beautifully choreographed festive ads- heart warming and thought provoking- that brought tears and laughter all in single run. She was the one who showed me that the local film scene isn't entirely bad, and possibly the only local film director whom I favored very much. The movie Sepet”- was my very first Malay blockbuster that I encountered, who introduced me the beauty of Rabindranath Tagore's words. Indeed it was refreshing and genuine to watch.

For those who were silent, she was their voice. For those who were predictable, she challenged the stereotypes.

She was one great storyteller.

1 comment:

Jin Phern said...

let's mourn for the great person who contributes to the unity of our country