I swear I wasn’t human trafficking

This is what happens when I have two Japanese girls walking closely behind me with their oversized baggage; a Costa Rican dude on my left pushing his luggage and a German lad on my right carrying his backpack and gears.

I had been an exchange student myself but not a host. I have to say playing host to exchange students is thrilling somehow. Even merely less than 12 hours. Most often I was more excited, or rather conscious than they are- always keeping them in sight- getting lost in KL is no fun- and making sure their don’t go hungry or thirsty- Hungry people is grumpy people.

Being placed in Malaysia for 6 months now, I’m pretty sure they are not afraid of the local people by now. But what was refreshing for them is to take a sneak peek of the vibrant KL, something Ipoh and Kuantan couldn’t offer.

“More cars”, they said.

Not sure if it was a novelty or pleasant experience for them, but still, an experience. Living in a foreign land and soaking up the local culture, this is why they are here for, no?

Costa Rican is still something that I’m new to. Japanese and German is no stranger to me. Yet having the experience being an exchange student, there is so much more to learn, share and talk about. Always, it gives me a reason to be nostalgia, even for momentarily.

Listen. Do you know Japanese doesn’t normally turn off the switch before inserting the plug, like what we usually would do?

I asked Shiori simply after witnessing her inserted the hair dryer plug by turning on the switch first. What’s more with her wet hair and damp hands! My two naked eye balls were literally fell off from the socket. Ok, maybe I’m a little up playing here.

In case you are not aware, like me, Japan has some pretty cool and sophisticated looking contact lens cases. It’s the shape of a miniature satellite when its wings open up, and looks like a stand fan when the wings are close, later to store into a capsule filled with liquid. What’s more than being compact, cute...and amusing?
Don't look too close.

***

Putting the mixture of East and West together, a whole lot of discoveries unravel and tales unfold. Interesting. Funny. Weird. Ugly. But the end of the day, they shared a common and mutual value- they respect, uphold and embrace one another’s culture. And that’s what matters. Even not everyone likes sushi.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

babe..we actually have that contact lens case here. my mum used to use it..haha. but it looks more troublesome. =D

cyan_loh said...

hahaa.. i know. I wasnt aware at that time =.= but not anywmore. Haha. Looks cute though. lol.

j o y c e * said...

haha yea i was about to tell u the same thing. it's more hygenic lo.