Sweet oh Sweet!

Last year Christmas was quiet and cozy, while this year was otherwise, with lots of merry-making, and lots of eating I might add. This is what we always do when we gathered and are happy, don’t we?

I spent my Christmas Eve being Santa’s little elves, helping to wrap tons and tons of presents to be given away to pediatrics ward of UMMC hospital. Having to spend 5 hours of wrapping presents, I think I am already a pro and qualified to work as a professional gift wrapper at Memory Lane!  The amount of presents was overwhelming, but it was scary...scary to know the number of children lying on a sick bed at a hospital. But I am glad, glad to know that these little ones are not forgotten and much thanks to Roddy and his team for having this special project. The sight of having a group of strangers come together, volunteering our time and energy by working alongside each other was heartwarming. These are the little things, little reminders to keep us humble and grateful at all time.


Christmas day was rather a busy one. I spent the whole afternoon in the kitchen, baking Almond Fudge Cheesecake for Pa’s birthday. It turned pretty well, not too sweet but perhaps a little too nutty for both of Pa and Ma. After washing and cleaning up, I then rushed off to Jeremy & Pamela’s wedding dinner. Having to attend my very first friend’s wedding, reuniting with bestfriend and meeting a couple of old folks made me so excited, that my heart swelled!  It was such a joy to see some of the old faces, and also, reconnecting the dots once again. Had a sleepover with Ling and girlfriends on a Christmas night, snuggled up with pillows and wrapped around with comforter, with lots of girl talks and crazy laughter lasting through the midnight! Classic, just classic.

Sunday was Boxing Day. After church service, Ling and I had our slow afternoon over bak kut teh and a pot of Chinese tea! It was blissful, wonderful and simply timeless! The day ended with an intimate birthday dinner celebration with Pa and alongside with a quiet evening with the family.  

This Christmas, I felt both an ancient and a newborn at the same time. I still have the warm and fuzzy excitement of being a child, but also, feel oddly contented to have break away from the usual routine, old places and worn out faces.  I think this is how holidays are supposed to be- reconnecting the dots, dots that once crossed path with us, but most often we take them for granted and so, easily forgotten.

Meanwhile, I want to thank God for His blessings. Christmas is a celebration with family and loved ones, but above all, it is a celebration of His birth. Everyone is special, and God makes us special in His own way and also, to love us the way we are.  I felt very much loved, blessed by God’s blessings for placing some of most beautiful people in my life.

No comments: