Papa

Every morning without fail, he will stare hard at the mirror, making sure his hair is well brushed and his clothes are dandy, and lastly, mist a few particles of perfume. He is at the age of 56 yet still looking good. That’s right, he is none other than my papa.

At the age of 3, I got the most ridiculous sounding nickname from Pa.
At the age of 5, I broke his precious, almost antique brandy and chives miniatures.
Again at the age of 5, Pa named me Janice, a name that I don’t really fancy.
At the age of 9, I got a serious one on one lecture from Pa due to my misbehavior in school.
At the age of 12, Pa teased me about boys.
At the age of 12.5, Pa forced me to a Chinese Private school and finally, I fought my way out.
At the age of 13, I talked to Pa about boys in school.
(I don’t know what I was thinking at that time)

Well, Pa and I don’t usually see things eye to eye. I guess I have bigger eyes than he does. He is the disciplinarian at home. He can be as stubborn as a mule. He can be conservative at times. He can’t be a good child psychologist. He needs to work on his sense of humor. He is too cool to show his affection and feminine side. And the list goes on and on…

I may have gone through some dreaded and unpleasant disciplinary teachings from my Pa. It may take me forever to understand his principles. And to comprehend his mood swings. Still, I have grown up to be a fine young lady. He may regard me as a rebellious kid, yet he never laid a finger on me. He reasoned with me regardless how illogical and unreasonable it sounds. He has faith on me too. He never questioned or doubt over my friends and acquaintances. He might be too shy or Asian to say I love you but I know he always beams with pride and joy. He is musically inclined while his daughters, both me and my sis are toned deaf despite we were exposed to the legendary Bee Gees and Tom Jones at a tender age. But the good news is I inherited his creativity genes in arts. He is a man with responsibility and punctuality. He will always pick me up from school on time, not a minute less or a minute more. And this is how I learn not to follow the Malaysian timing. He may be a Baby Bloomer but he is definitely more tech savvy than I do. He has a digital cam and uses Skype. Hah.

What more can I say? We are different in our ways yet similar in many ways. Hey, after all I share the same doe eyes like him and possess the same chubby cheeks like he does.

I always though calling him dad or daddy will sound erm…cool. Still, I stick with Papa. It was my first baby lingo. And it sounds way cooler.


Happy Birthday, Papa :)

3 comments:

cookiedonut said...

it is very obvious tat u or ur family bake the cake yourseleves :-)

cyan_loh said...

shh, thanks for telling the whole world jason :P
hey what happen to your blog? the chatbox and post are not appearing.
So hows ur trip to japan? Updates!!!

cookiedonut said...

my blog is working fine... maybe because the resolution is not right in your computer... i din go japan anymore... instead... im goin taiwan! woohoo! will update u guys dun worry