My American Dream- Part1

Living an American dream, how beautiful can it sounds?

Yes, it is too beautiful.

But the fact is living an American dream is more than meet the eyes. You know, sometimes what you see is not what you get. Especially now we are living in a rapidly changing digital age where media has place such an impact in our lives. Just simply by watching O.C or Gossip Girl is enough to brainwash you.

I have been there and done that. Do Americans really act that way? Well, maybe some of it I would say like places in LA or New York. But hey, there are still American parents who are concern about their kids, teenagers who need to abide curfew, do house chores, babysitting, and schooling. They are no different from you and me.

Living in America is more than fame, fortune, glamour or anything close. America is a big chuck of cheese rich of opportunities to be explored. It is not about earning big bucks, meeting Hollywood stars, making way into MTV but it’s a place for you to enrich knowledge, expand horizons and empower minds. Their cultures are diversifying, their creativities are inspiring, and this is what I call a ‘melting pot’. Mind you, Malaysia has stop melting for quite some time.

I love to get personal with the locals’ cultures and backgrounds, at the same time take pride of my root and identity. Being place in a hippies culture allows me understand the minority better. Wearing tie-dyed shirt and listening to Bob Marley is not an everyday affair, not in Malaysia. But I learn to appreciate them better. I know that being stuck in my own bubble is not going to bring me far, I need to break through and I’m glad I did. My adaptability has put into test but I was given a chance to learn and grow little by little.

Meeting peers from all over the globe had indeed open up my views. Putting up with them, I was taught to think globally and act globally, see things from a bigger picture and not from a pigeon hole. So then I realized how ignorant and close minded I was. They too, taught me to count my blessings as my county is not in death and loss. To my surprise, they actually experienced so far more in life than I do.

Some time ago, I came across an American saying, “I hate George Bush, but I love America!’ This triggers my mind recently after so much of havoc in Malaysia. She is getting sick, weak and corrupted by people but I still adore Malaysia dearly. No one can’t deny that Malaysia is a beautiful country.

Endure differences, embrace the wonders of life and be grateful- these are what my ultimate American dream has taught me.

Happy 1st anniversary to my fellow US returnees!

No comments: