the joy of merdeka

Staying in the US for the past 6 months doesn’t make me less Malaysian. Others assumed that I have been soaking up the American culture therefore I tend to forgot about my roots. Anyhow, I’m still truly an anak Malaysia.

I used to complain about the weather we had here. Although I enjoy the snow during the winter but I was beginning to miss our tropical weather where I can wear my tank top instead of freezing to death and layering myself with tons of sweaters. While I was studying in US high school, I even miss our blue pinafore. How I wish I do not have to crack my brain and think on what to wear for the next day.

Most of my American friends are very supportive with their local alternative bands. This keep me ponder as I wonder why we always glorify big international bands like Green Day, Linkin Park rather than supporting our very own local bands like Disagree, One Buck Shot and some upcoming talented bands in our Tanah Air.

There’s always the good old mamak stall that I missed the most. I mean where can you find a place with a plasma TV where you are able to watch football while enjoying your delicious yet affordable roti canai none other than in Malaysia. How about our very own manglish? It has also been part of the unique Malaysia’s culture too. I taught my host dad the usage of la, lo and ma. It’s weird and funny of course to see a foreigner speaking in our way but he thinks it’s cool. It also amazed me the fact that he enjoys so much that he begin to use in our daily conversation.

My fellow American friends are impressed and interested in our rich yet diversify cultures and ethnics. I no longer address myself as a Chinese, instead as a Malaysian. They have no idea how big a melting pot Malaysia is in race, culture and food. Personally, I think it is the biggest asset we have in Malaysia. This is what makes us so unique and special as Malaysians. Being Malaysian doesn’t tie down to one race; instead it’s for all of us.

Sometimes we tend to look on the negative pictures yet neglected things that are close to our hearts. We complained how terrible our national football team is. We are never satisfied with our RapidKL’s services. We criticized Malaysians’ tidak-apa attitude and third world mentally. On the second hand, have you thought of our renowned Zang Toi and Jimmy Choo who break into the international scene? How about our skyscraper Petronas Twin Tower? And not forgetting our adorable Malaysia buatan Myvi? Have you thought of giving credit to TheCicak.com website for serving as a great platform for Malaysian youths out there to voice out their thoughts and discussing issues that revolved in our daily lives? You see, we aren’t that tidak-apa and ignorant after all.

50 years of age, and I have to say we are still a young country and there’s a long way to go. The country is not perfect, so do us. Despite the imperfections, we still live peacefully and hormonally under one roof. This is a fact that no one can deny it. To develop towards a better country, it needs anak Malaysia like you and me.

Happy Merdeka, Malaysia!
Happy Merdeka everyone!

No comments: