Closing Time


Buildings with early day’s architecture have never failed to fascinate me. The every detail matters from the crinkly wall, the crooked window to the cracked door. They look beautiful in pictures and beyond the four frames. In awe I admire.

Another thing I marveled upon is swings. Swings by the beach, blending in with the sunset, the inner child in me is satisfied.



It has been quite some time, about 7 years or so I last visited Penang. So many things have taken place- narrower streets, busier roads, new faces, and sprouting buildings- time has long change the landscape. The only thing that doesn’t really change much is the weather. Penang is very much sunny and breezy, so it was a good escape from the rainy weather here.

This year around, grandma decided to stay put for good. At the ripe old age of 92, despite walking a much slower pace, poor hearing and blurry vision, she is still a young lady at heart who is glowing with health. Indeed, grandma has came from a long, long way- she is a daughter, sister, wife, mother, grandma, great grandma, teacher, friend, and a traveler. Grandma served humbly as a high school teacher for more than 3 decades, the truth is she is lucky enough to be educated. For the past years, she travelled to many places, one after another, and finally she returns to her homeland. Running through her wardrobe and jewelry boxes is so tempting that I landed myself a piece of white vintage blouse! Definitely not the flowery grandma clothing! Don't be surprise that some of my jewelry pieces are from her too! One thing about her, she is never the typical sitting-on-the-rocking-chair of grandma. She is a light smoker, and still smokes at the very day. In this case, you may want to call her cool. I told you, she doesn’t fit in the stereotypical grandma. She avoids smoking in front of her grandchildren, but we know well. I see nothing wrong with it, but unhealthy, that’s all. With her age now, as long she is happy, that is what really matters. She insisted of staying alone, all by herself, and I admire her gusto in silent. Her close friend of 60 years drops by every other day, just to keep her company, gradually it has been part of the routine. Now I see why, why she insisted that. It has always been the craving of feedom to be everything she naturally is, to do things the way she likes- that is what defining her life.

Admittedly, I have few words but good words of grandma.
Listening to her tales on a Christmas night had put sheen of moisture on my eyes and a choke up in my throat.

This time, my trip down to Penang was...no one right word can accurately describe it. It is so complex with nostalgia, poignant and nonchalant running parallel all at the same time!

2 comments:

EVo said...

Hello siyan granny! jia you jia you!

cyan_loh said...

lol, u so funny!! Okies, will pass her the msg when I see her next time :) And I havent been hanging out with you for sooooo long! Jom lets go, haha. I wanna hear all those funny stories about china x)