Speak no words

Today I attended my very first sign language lesson. Beamed with excitement, joined with suspense and expectancy. Man, it did make me feel like a kid all over again.

Having 2 deaf and mute friends myself, I know best how tedious and sticky communication can be. It is not as easy as merely paper and pen. For sure words can be written, however the absence of expressions makes the conversation loses its soul.

The instructor (he’s mute) started off slowly. And I followed eagerly. Most often the class was interactive and hands-on. I learnt about numbers, alphabets, colors and very basic sign languages. See, it did reminiscent me of my first day in nursery school. Glances were constantly exchanged, and giggles could be heard. Little do I know 2 hours of non verbal communication can be so painless :)

I love learning, big things, little things, new or old, explicitly or implicitly, significant or insignificant. Simply because learning is about exploring, discovering, and allowing myself to do fun and nourishing stuffs.

I learnt to bake, cook, drive, cycle, knit, snowboard, love arts, appreciate simple things, say thank you and mean it, be patience, have faith, believe in miracles…

I might not always be proficient in what I learnt. Some not even close to satisfactory. And some just failed miserably. But I manage to grab a bite of it, know what it tastes like, and savor the flavor for that moment.

My papa always says this, “My biggest mistake as a father is not having my both daughters learn how to swim.”

Someone, anyone please chuck me into the pool.


7 comments:

cookiedonut said...

cyan, next time lets go swim together!~

the queen of catastrophes said...

bedmate.. i can help you with that.. next sem, bring your swimsuit and a dunking we will go!!

"weeeee.." (Chan, 2009)

cyan_loh said...

okies jason :) you better mark your words. To spend time with you is even harder than meeting the PM, hahaa =P

cyan_loh said...

GRReat!! Its a deal, bedmate! Haha, my papa will be a happy man :) wait, first i need to shop for a swimsuit.. lalala.

Who's Chan?

A bee bee ai eee said...

've learn sign language once from a "mute" kid. But somehow the sign language they teach here is different than what they taught overseas you know?

cyan_loh said...

Thats cool, abbie :)Yeap, coz what we are learning are malaysian sign language. but i think there are some uniserval ones :)Nyek nyek, maybe one day we can sign together gether =P

Mei-Fern Chong said...

Sounds like such great fun!
I've always found sign language so intriguing.