the best christmas gift ever

I wish I have a red hot Ferrari sports car.
I wish I own a mansion beside the beach.
I wish I have a platinum card to spend like no body business.
I wish I can travel around the globe with my private jet plane.

Alright, this is not going to happen any moment now, probably in my dream. How about something more realistic like, a 3G camera phone? Nothing extravagant, since I’m still using the no-camera-3G-less phone.

But my question for you is: have u received a gift that deeply touches your heart? Or have you send a gift that touches people’s heart?

I have been celebrating Christmas for 18 years, and for once I received a gift that truly moved me into tears. It was from my American family who is living on the other side of the globe. I received a Christmas parcel from them today, containing all sorts of goodies like peppermint choc, almond toffee, granola snacks, Hershey’s kisses, flip flops, cards, ipod skin and a mini scrapbook. I’m not telling you how much gifts they splurged on me, but is the heart of remembrance that touches me deeply. All the goodies are like little reminders during my stay in US. My favorite choc is peppermint choc while I was in USA; I had a great time making granola snack with Bonnie in the kitchen; Greg and Bonnie made fun of me for wearing flip flops at home coz true Americans wear shoes; they bought me an ipod for my graduation, I bet the ipod skin is Kenny’s idea; and the scrapbook is the most memorable one, I made them one before I left Oregon, capturing all the special moments during my stay. In return, they make me one reminisces starting from the beginning till the end of my journey in USA. Once again, they make me wail in tears exactly like before I left Portland, kissing goodbye to them. My tears just kept flowing on my cheeks when I looked at the pictures, it’s like unstoppable!! The more I tried to control, the more it fell.

I remembered how nervous and anxious I was when I landed at Portland Airport. I have no idea how my host family look like, what are their jobs, how many family members, but with faith, I hoped for the best. Looking back now, it has been 6 months. It was their first time to host a student. We started off being strangers coming from different part of the world, different skin color, different nationality, race, and culture, yet we ended up to forge a close bond between us. And it was merely 6 months. It was truly a blessing for me to place in their family, experiencing their unfailing acceptance and love for me. They have truly moved my hearts in their special ways.

I remembered the first time I taught Greg our very own Malaysian slang, even the word emo! ; our father and daughter talk in front of the front yard; having fun cooking new dishes with Bonnie (There’s where I learn to bake), how Bonnie and I shopped from shop to shop to look for my prom dress; how much I hated going to baseball league with Jonas, but me being a good sis, often practiced pitching and batting with him at the basement. And I clearly remembered his amusing expression when I told him about the monkeys in Malaysia. He loves coconut juice!! The funniest one will be charging Ed’s poopy diaper; I don’t know what to do (ahhh) but I did a pretty good job. And Ed running around with his stumpy feet, hahaha..

I never thought of stepping my feet in US, all I thought is Australia..this shows how shallow I am, haha.This wonderful and rewarding experience has enriched my life in many ways which has change, mould and transforms me to who I am today.

Having my American family is the best gift I ever had There’s nothing more I can ask for. Hugs and kisses to them. Love them LOTS!

I vow I will be back to Oregon.

Have a merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: