Prodigal Daughter

Finally, the money transaction is done. My mom declared herself as my financial planner. Naturally. I knew this coming, and I let it be. Whatever makes her happy.

I am pretty much a shortsighted person when comes to dealing with money. I don’t splurge much but either do I give much thought on money value. All this while, I don’t question about the bank policies. I don’t bother over the different accounts I own and I care less about the amount of money I have. But this time, I doubt I can afford to have that laidback approach anymore.

Now, I don’t see money as merely money. Not as if I see them as sparkling diamonds or gem stones. In simple terms, money doesn’t come free, or grow on trees. Neither falls from sky. (I know, I have been saying this for a thousand times.) Rather, it is something that I need to sustain or even better, multiply. Requires a little of self discipline and responsibility. It can be overwhelming for the first time. When I say overwhelming, I really mean it.

As the days of me moving out are approaching, my mom is getting more anxious than I do. I can understand where she comes from, what are her concerns, and her uncertainties. But her paranoiac and anxiousness can get over the board. By all means, I try my very best to comfort her, and make her feels better. In fact, I am still trying. I know it’s not easy for her to cope with my absence, but eventually she has to learn. It’s time for her to be selfish for once, and start taking care of her own interests instead of me and my sis. That’s why we have always been encouraging her to go for a vacation, sign up for dancing classes, or simply go out for tea.

At some point of time, when we have to learn, we really have to learn. My mom needs to learn to loosen up the apron’s string. And I am learning not to be a prodigal daughter.


No comments: