"Make something big out of small thing"- Siyan Loh

Here I am sitting in front of my note book, wanting to spill all my thoughts out. I don’t know how to put into words but I will give it a try.

It all started with ‘The Power of 10 cents’ in conjunction of Global Peace Festival (GPF) 2008. I have no idea what I got myself into. I started with a very simple intention, basically just to raise funds for kids in Cambodia. I did not aware that there is a launching of this project. When I was aware of, I was told it is a short and simple ceremony without any press or celebrity.

With that in mind, I have all things plan out from location, date and time. Initially the launching was supposed to be on this Friday, at a pathetic-looking SR6. I don’t seem to have a choice knowing that the lower foyer was booked for another function. Frankly, I was kind of disappointed with the location. I want something slightly better than just a classroom, just slightly, nothing more and nothing less. I prayed about it and I think God understands me too well.

So on the Wednesday night, I received a call from Nicholas Lee, founder of ‘The Power of 10 cents’. He told me that Jaclyn Victor, ambassador of GPF will be available on Saturday afternoon, and she would like to come over to HELP with the expectation of 100 people. At that moment, I was overwhelmed with the feelings of excitement and confusion. It was a big decision. It was a short notice. Where am I going to get the crowd there? No one comes to college on Saturday; HMC dept is having exams, and psych students have freshman luncheon. On that night, I was basically having symptoms of insomnia. There is so much to think of, since I don’t have an official teacher advisor for this project so technically speaking, I’m the decision maker.

In the end, I consulted the director of student affairs, and he told me to go ahead with the Saturday plan. And the rest is history.

More rambling…

I have been in mambo jumbo for the past few days, with so many agendas going through my mind. I can honestly tell you, it was tough. No doubt the process is challenging but the satisfaction I gained is worth more than anything else, beyond what words can described.

Things started off rough but later on, the crowd was looking good. Despite the small crowd, but their enthusiastic and supportive spirit was beyond anything else. I felt a sense of relief after looking at their smiley faces.

The experiences were real and tense, as if I am in a reality TV show. Moments of vulnerable were overpowering me when I don’t see a promising sign of 100 souls. It was liked only two handful of people turned up. Worst still, it was raining heavily. At that point of time, I hope there is someone there to tell me everything will be alright. I was nervous, I was emotional, I wanted to break down, I was having PMS, I was sweaty, I was in doubt, I was mentally and physically exhausted, I was silly, and I missed the photo session on freshman luncheon...

Only that I realized I am not perfect. I am human.

Hardships are always come in the process of learning, growing and pushing to the limits. Trust me, the taste of success after all the hardships that I have undergone is sweeter than any chocolates I tasted. Now I know where I stand. I know what I should improve in. I never say it’s easy but with the achievement and satisfaction, I feel enriched. I take pride of my work. I walked with a glow in my face. I cried tears of joy. I desire for a break through. And I believe God has a great plan for me.

For now, I just want to take time off and have a good rest. This will allow me to reflect, sharpen my senses and get in touch with my intangible side. I will give myself a push when I am ready. Just like playing the video games, I shall pause for a moment and go for a coffee break. Cappuccino anyone?

Tonight, finally I can hug my teddy and have a goodnight sleep :)

No comments: