Sandbox

Hello March!

It has been a month now since I started my first job.  Now I have segued into my everyday things, my everyday work life. And there, I hop with pride and jump with joy!

I have been very much occupied with work for the past weeks. I was away to Malacca and PD for 2 weeks to facilitate leadership camps, and last week I was off to KL downtown for 3 days. Traveling is sometimes draining, but I must say that I enjoy doing what I am doing.

When I was much younger, I very much like the idea of donning one of those office wears, carrying a briefcase and working for a big corporate firm. But 3 years ago, I realised this was not what I want. I was somewhat afraid to be consumed by the traditional work path, or losing myself in this rat race. The thought just scares me sometimes.

I am a person of wholesome. I am searching for a balance, a balance of humanity and practicality, a balance of heart and head. Guess working in a social entreprising organization, at least with my current company, brings that sense of balance to my work. Not only do I learn to work with my head, but also with my soul. I believe that if your work doesn’t excite you, it won’t excite anyone else. It is hard to fake passion for mediocre work.

True enough that at the end of the day, business is driven by figures and numbers. But I never knew business can be that fun. It is fun if only we laugh at ourselves, and at our mistakes.  We laugh over stupid jokes, poke fun of each other's shortcomings and oh boy, push one another off into the pool and pour sands on each other’s head!  Having about 30 odd people in the company, we are pretty much a close bunch where we practically know almost everything about each other even to the detail of their pet’s name!

So far, my learning process has been fun and optimistic. I have the opportunity to fully explore my options, learn the areas that interest me, and the time to fully reflect on my own strengths and shortcomings. My boss and I share a strong working chemistry together. He is generous and patient in his teachings, and entrusted me enough on most tasks. Glad to know that I am in good hands. Now I am slowly moving from execution to strategizing and conceptualizing project.  If all things work out well, I will soon be piloting my own brainchild by end of this year. Exciting much!

Like what my boss told me on my first day of work, “With this company, you get to grow according to your own pace. The learning here is customised, it is something that you don't get working for a big firm. It depends entirely on how hungry you are as a learner. If you are in, then I am game for it"

Sun setting at Teluk Kemang, PD

2 comments:

Mei-Fern Chong said...

So very happy to read about how happy you are! I feel like a proud momma! You've put a big smile in my heart this Sunday night! I'll see you soon, babe. xx

cyan_loh said...

Hahaa proud momma eh?! Glad that I make you proud babe! I have lots to update you, need to speak to you badly! xoxo