Paper Doilies

I never know how much I miss home until I walked through the familiar routine of picking up and reading the morning paper, engaged in long conversation with mom, stuffed myself full with home cooked food of 3 course meals (which the two are pork dishes) and a broth for dinner, or when my sis started complaining how messy the room is.  

I was only away from home for slightly more than a week yet I feel the days are long.  My, am I glad to be back home!

A new semester just started not too long ago. With only one subject and Thesis proposal at hand, my schedule is pretty flexible and has somewhat gives me plenty of breathing space.  Of course I do foresee my last semester is going to be a busy one, but that’s not for me to worry now.  With that in mind, I think my current state of life has achieved, well almost an equilibrium, a nice and wholesome balance of fast and slow, exciting and calm, exhilarating and laidback. Sandwiched in between study and play, occasionally I managed to indulge in some non-academic readings, experiment with some fuss-free projects or do things that I enjoyed doing, just the way I like it.

My most recent project was a birthday packet for bestie Ling in celebration of her 21st birthday. The packet was filled with homemade goodies made out of felt, fabric paper, paper doilies which were carefully stitched and stringed together with thread and ribbon. Knowing the packet has reached safely at Adelaide after crossing the valley and ocean of a thousand mile was a sign of relief, phew!  

She’s now growing up into such a fine young woman and I’m sad that I’m not there for her. But I know she’s doing well, and filling out those big shoes she was always meant to fill. I’m proud of her. I shed a few tears after reading her email. We were only classmates for two years, but we have been best friends for almost a decade now. Funnily we both don’t share many common songs together neither do we take many pictures, at least not pretty enough to be publicly displayed. But we are good with paper and pen. It might not be the most fashionable way, but cards and letters are the most personal and practical way.

I vaguely remember our first encounter. It saddened me, somewhat. Perhaps I was gravitated to the Sweet Valley High School book that she was holding. But I realize it doesn’t matter after all, or at all. It’s the journey of growing up together through different seasons of life that we discovered both of our beautiful and ugly sides of us. Yet we still remain real, honest and above all, we don’t judge.  And after 10 years of friendship, that’s what matters, really, that's what matters.    



This is for you, Ling. 

“The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart” by Elisabeth Foley.

And one day, I will be your bridesmaid witnessing you walking down the aisle, and be the most amazing godmother for your kids :)

No comments: