the city of rose

I know, I know. I should update my blog more often!! My peeps back in Malaysia have been wondering where I gone to ; am I back in Malaysia (sigh, where you get the information from?) ; are you okay; is there anything bad happening to you? ( touch wood!!) Oh well, I have been really busy with tons of activities, healthy and productive activities of course. Take a glimpse on what I up to on the last couple of weeks :

Last last week :
Grandma and grandpa Richardson came to visit us. I had fun meeting them especially grandma. With her asian demeanor, she reminded me of my own mama. I followed them to bird-watching.

Last last Friday:
We had a family reunion dinner. I did not finish the dinner, as I need to meet up with Joe, Nathan and Lily at waterfront to witness the magnifying fireworks.

Last last Saturday:
Grandma went back to Oklahoma. I was basically just chill out and finish up my homework during the day. I again went out with Nathan, Joe and Lily to downtown on evening to see the starlight parade. I wanted to try out the sling shot in the carnival but it costs 30 bucks!! Might as well I forget about it. After taking our dinner, I met up with Burn and Jillian!!! It was so crowded that I hardly can make my way to meet them. Anyway, I was so super excited get to see Burn as he came all the way from Toledo. Woo yoo!!!

Last last Sunday :
It was my graduation ceremony BUT I did not attend as I wasnt allow to be on stage or wear the regalia. What a bummer!! Anyway, I don't see what's the point of going to the ceremony. I dont why there are such restriction. Erm, I think it mainly because I'm a semester student. But I do received a cert of achivement. However, my host parents bought me an ipod to make up the disspointment. Hahaha... Then I went to have a girl day with nicole instead.

Last Friday:
I attended Jillian's graduation ceremony. It's so funny because she did not attend her school prom, but she came to mine. I did not go to my graduation yet I attended hers. She was allow to walk on the red carpet but not wearing the regalia. She received a souvenir from school although she wanted a cert just like mine. It was a long and sort of boring ceremony. After that, I have a sleep over at her house.

Last Saturday:
It was the 100th anniversary Rose festival. We woke up early in the morning to enjoy the whole floral parade. Jillian's host dad and sis camped out on friday night to save a good spot for us. I tell ya, people here camp out along the side walk a day before just to save a good spot, isnt it crazy? I heard it was some kind of Oregonian tradtional thing. Despite the rain, I still have fun sitting down at the side walk with my soaking wet flip flops. At the evening, we had a baby shower over at my house.

Last Sunday :
I woke up around 10 to have breakfast with my family. Then, we drop by Kenny's house. Blah blah blah.. We came back. I continue to work on my subculture paper. I went to Stumptown on last week with the hope of interviewing a bike messenger so I can finish up my paper. Bike messenger is an exclusive group, it's hard for me to get hold of them. But I met a girl from PSU who's doing a research on bike messenger and we exchanged information and thoughts. Can you believe she actually emailed her research paper to me!!! Am I lucky or what?!! Cause I actually went up from table to table, asking one by one, " excuse me, are you bike messenger?". Bonnie, Kelsey and Jeff were proud of my bravery and confidence. FYI, bike messenger is a cool group, too cool for us to approach them.
After done with my paper, I went to have a picnic with AFSers. I met some Taiwanese girls who are here for the dragon boat racing and Rose festival. I ended up being a translator for Ron who is hosting them. It was so confusing that I was actually speaking mandarin with Ron.

Yesterday:
I went to watch the girl's performance. Kudos to them!! I think they did a great job. But my favourite of all will be the Chinese orchestra. Two thumbs up!! Next, we went to have a late dinner. I met this lady who speak Canto, a chinese guy who's from Indonesia but he only knows english as he's an Oregonian. Both of them are working in the resturant. We started to chat and all. At that every moment, I'm so proud the fact that I'm able to converse in Canto and English at the same time. Dont you agree? Then, I followed Ron to the airport to bid a final farewell to the exchange teachers from China. See, I cant never run away from my root and culture even I'm in United State.

Tomorrow:
Tomorrow is my last day in YWCA LearnLinks. I'm definitely going to miss the kids so much!!! Our school is having a potluck party and performing arts night. Nicole and I are going to support our very dear Joe.

Thursday:
Will be the last day of school. I'm inviting my friends over to my house and just chill-lax!!


Well, more to come this week. Maybe I will be out to hiking, or ready to watch a baseball game.

No comments: