Love in Autumn

Oh yea, finally I watched (500) days of summer, my most anticipated movie of the year. Year 2009 precisely. (With a box of tissue beside me, am down with flu...Gah!)

The story is relatively simple. Rather the story is every kind of love story which should have been told but isn’t. It is story of The Ugly Truth that nobody wants to hear.

Don’t expect any generic Hollywood romantic fare and all that jazz from this movie. Simply put, it is nothing like your neighbourhood love story.

The story begins with boy meets girl. Boy falls for girl. Girl doesn’t. Tom (Gordon-Levitt) believes in true love and fairy tales but not Summer (Deschanel). Nonetheless, Tom goes for the ride and falls for Summer, which sort of spells disaster from the start. Then the portrayal of Expectations and Reality comes to play, through a nifty split screen with Tom expecting to reconcile with Summer on one side, and reality check of that never happening on the other end.

p/s: If ever Reality comes knocking at your door, be prepared to breathe in and smile!

In keeping with the film’s playfully unorthodox nature, they featured a host of offbeat soundtracks from The Smiths, Feist, Black Lips, Regina Skeptor, and Carla Bruni. Personally I enjoy listening to every single piece of it! And I find the portrayal of relationships between Tom and Summer was adorably choreographed. It was quirky, honest and childlike, very much to my liking. And oh, I love Summer’s 60 fashion too- the lacy blouse, the floral dress, the A-line skirt, the high waist pants and Tom’s boyish charm definitely pull off the preppy looking vest and tie.

Realistically speaking, I could relate with Summer’s choice of personal space and freedom and Tom’s understanding of Love and Fate. I am neither Summer or Tom. A little of both. I am somewhat in between.

***



4 comments:

Mei-Fern Chong said...

Oh yes, I completely forgot to tell you about Summer's wardrobe when I passed you the movie because almost everything she wore made me think that you would like it.

I loved every piece she wore btw. Especially the dresses. Must go on a mission to find dresses like hers!

cyan_loh said...

Hahaa, you are so true! I love it :) Eh then you better stock those up in red tutu, teehehee.. and I can imagine you donning in those dresses. Serious, you can pull 'em off so effortlessly!

Sarah said...

haha yay i also want dresses. :D

ncbf said...

XD...now I understand why you love this movie so much, everything is in there, is just so-your-type, lolz...so when is winter coming in...?