Re-entry

This is my second week to back in Malaysia. Writing seems to be hard on me lately. Creativity no longer bloom, sentence seems to be haywire and words just don’t flow. Or maybe I just couldn’t find the niche yet to pen down my thoughts. Frankly, I seem to lose touch.

But anyway, I’m still breathing, eating well and sleeping tight. The past two weeks have been fairly well to me. The jet lag was terrible during the first day though. Aside from that, I was told to be mentally prepared as we may encounter drastic changes in our community, family and friends. But thank God I did not face any major challenges during my re-entry and re-adjustment to the home culture.

I witnessed a friend of mine who is going through a tough time, as ha had constant arguments with his mum, friends were away from him, the only comfort he could seek is in AFS friends. Well, what he’s going through right now is just part of the re-entry cycle. I’m indeed thankful and grateful for having great friends, or should I say true friends, who stick with me even though I’m no longer in my old self. (Malaysia friends, do give yourself a pat on your shoulder!!) Hopefully, I changed to the better. I received calls and messages from my dear old friends. Gatherings and meet-ups were arranged. At the mean time, I have tremendous and unlimited support, love and care from my AFS peeps. Seriously, no one can understands our experiences better none other than my dear AFS friends. Our bond has forged and strengthens along the journey. Eventually I grew closer to them and they have become part of my life without I realizing it.

Sometimes I’m unaware that I’m actually in Malaysia, But again reality does hit me occasionally.

Case(1) : leaving my cell phone on the table allowing nick to play a prank on me. Of course I was panicking to death. But when I found out its nick who’s behind this evil plan, I nearly straggled him to death. He was like, “ this is Malaysia, not US. Don’t simply but your things like that.” I guess he’s right after wall. My bet!!!

Case (2) : I was used to the hugging and cuddling culture back in US. So naturally I will give my friends hugs whenever I see them as a way of showing my care and friendliness. But one of Malaysia friend seems to be awkward and reluctant on doing so. Again, the reality strikes me, oh yes, I’m in my Tanah Air right now.

Case (3) : We practice courtesy back in US. This encourages me to smile and be friendly to strangers. But here, the story is different. On one fine day (hahah…) I have this wonderful conversation with a Indian lady in a bus. After I’m coming down from the bus, my mum nudged me and said, “ You thought here is US ar. Don’t simply talk to strangers la. Who know, she can be a con lady.

These are the little things and habits that I had developed and cultivated during my 6 months stay in US. Anyhow, I’m still truly an anak Malaysia!

3 comments:

ikanbilis said...

i've noticed and i believe i share the same thing with you. i'm running out of creativity but the most i got out of myself is the difference between both world, of Uncle Sam and Bolehland. susah kan nak accept the reality? we should create an AFS country lah!

Wong Ken Ming said...

Running out of creativity? Aww, sad to hear that!

I agree with Anchovy. Lets set up a country on some island somewhere!

Ken.

cyan_loh said...

whoa, u both damn semangat!!! hahaha.. ok then, lets set up an AFS country!!! hahaha XD
ken, reply my text msg!!!!!!!!!!!!!